CALHN Nursing Education Courses
Vascular Access Courses: Venepuncture / Peripheral Intravascular Cannula (PIVC) Insertion
These education programs aim to provide health care professionals with knowledge and skills to competently and confidently perform Venepuncture and/or PIVC insertion. Annual accreditation is required.
On successful completion of all components the learner will be able to:
- Identify important legal, professional and ethical issues related to procedures and devices used to access the venous system
- Define VAD / procedure terminology and abbreviations
- Locate OWI’s related to the devices and procedures included in this learning package
- Discuss the anatomy and physiology of the venous system
- Understand the indications for Venepuncture and / or PIVD insertion
- Articulate the factors to be considered when selecting a site for Venepuncture /PIVC / CVAD placement and the sites not recommended for selection
- Identify the potential complications associated with vascular access devices / procedures and the strategies to prevent complications
- Outline the responsibilities for minimising the risk of infection and work health and safety issues related to venous access devices / procedures.
- Complete the online learning modules prior to attending the practical session. You will need to achieve 100% for successful completion.
- Attend and actively participate in Venepuncture and PIVD Insertion practical session.
- Completion of three supervised insertions uploaded to Learning Central.
CALHN Multidisciplinary clinical staff whose scope of practice requires these skills.
All learning packages/modules must be completed prior to booking a practical session.
For further information, please contact:
Zoe Robb - Nurse Educator
Phone: 7074 3500 Zoe Robb