CALHN Nursing Education Courses
Vascular Access Program: Venepuncture / Peripheral Intravascular Device Insertion (PIVD)
These education programs aim to provide health care professionals with knowledge and skills to competently and confidently perform Venepuncture and PIVD insertion. Annual accreditation is required.
On successful completion of all components the learner will be able to:
- Identify important legal, professional and ethical issues related to procedures and devices used to access the venous system
- Define VAD / procedure terminology and abbreviations
- Locate OWI’s related to the devices and procedures included in this learning package
- Discuss the anatomy and physiology of the venous system
- Understand the indications for Venepuncture and / or PIVD insertion
- Articulate the factors to be considered when selecting a site for Venepuncture /PIVC / CVAD placement and the sites not recommended for selection
- Identify the potential complications associated with vascular access devices / procedures and the strategies to prevent complications
- Outline the responsibilities for minimising the risk of infection and work health and safety issues related to venous access devices / procedures.
- Complete the online learning modules prior to attending the practical session. You will need to achieve 100% for successful completion.
- Attend and actively participate in Venepuncture and PIVD Insertion practical session.
- Completion of three supervised insertions uploaded to Learning Central.
CALHN Multidisciplinary clinical staff whose scope of practice requires these skills.
All learning packages/modules must be completed prior to booking a practical session.
For further information, please contact:
Kristy Knight - Nurse Educator
Phone: 7074 4227 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org