Intended audience: Completion of this course or the equivalent face-to-face training is mandatory training for all SA Health staff.
About this course: This course has been developed as part of the SA Health Aboriginal Cultural Learning Framework to enable a consistent approach to the improvement of the cultural competency of its workforce in order to meet the needs of its Aboriginal consumers.
This course covers the level one learning outcomes from the SA Health Aboriginal Cultural Learning Framework.
The Aboriginal Cultural Learning Framework aligns with the 2017 Australian Commission for Safety and Quality in Health Care (ACSQHC) Standard 1, Governance of Safety and Quality.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Describe cultural awareness.
- Examine why cultural competency is important in your workplace.
- Appraise Aboriginal history and its relationship to health outcomes for Aboriginal people.
- Recognise the impact of racism on Aboriginal people’s health.
- Question your values and attitudes around Aboriginal people's past and present lives.
- Formulate basic strategies to empathise and communicate with Aboriginal people.